Tuning defaults for 2.5

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Mar 3 02:09:46 EST 2011

> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to let those of us on this list, but not the development
> list,
> know about a review of default configuration values that you may be
> interested
> in;
>
>   http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/cyrus-devel/2011-March/001742.html

I've checked the options you suggest and here is where I don't agree:

- altnamespace to 1
I don't remember any problems with altnamespace = 0 so why change it? I
prefer to have the "nontranslated" namespace everywhere by default, which
is the one also seen with the admin tools.

- hashimapspool to 1
I have also used hashed spool on large servers in the past but I really
don't like it to be the default. Hashed spool is only needed on large
systems which lack decent filesystems. More and more modern systems have
no issues with the number of directories. Hashed spool is just a hack for
those who need it.

- improved_mboxlist_sort to 1
I don't know about this one but it hurts reading we have to
"dump/convert/undump their mailboxes.db" :(

- normalizeuid to 1
Is this in 2.5 now? Because it has been in out RPMS just as a patch.

- unixhierarchysep to 1
It's a constant source of confusion and like for altnamespace, I prefer to
have the "nontranslated" hierarchy separator everywhere by default, which
is the one also seen with the admin tools.

- virtdomains to userid
I'm not sure but I prever the default being the one for the easiest case
without any virtual domain and whatever. Using virtual domains is allready
an advanced configuration, isn't it?

Let me add my wishlist here:

- delete_mode: delayed
- expunge_mode: delayed
Both options are very helpful for those who just install the server and
work with it until they have to do restores. Doing restores from backups -
if they exist :) - is quite an exercise for those not using it often.
Recovering with the options above it just so cool :)

- sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
I remember /usr/lib/sendmail has been quite common in the last millennium,
but today?

Thanks,
Simon