remote cryadm questions

Gary Smith gary.smith at holdstead.com
Wed Mar 2 17:18:57 EST 2011

We have been using saslauth against pam_mysql for some time now with no problems. To use it though we need to use the -r option for sasl, which adds the realm to the username. I've been re-working some of my management scripts so I can have a central server that issues the commands to the remote cyrus servers. The problem is the cyrus administration accounts can't seem to connect from remote hosts as the -r option for sasl adds the hostname and using user@ connects but doesn't yield admin level privileges even if added to the imapd.conf file.

cyradm --user cyrus remotehost <-- yields invalid password
cyradm --user cyrus@ remotehost <-- can login but no access, even if both cyrus and cyrus@ are in the imapd.conf file

I also tried by assing a new user garycyrusadmin
cyradm --user garycyrusadmin remotehost <-- yields invalid password
cyradm --user garycyrusadmin @ remotehost <-- can login but no admin access, even if both cyrus and cyrus@ are in the imapd.conf file

I also tested with one of my hosted email accounts
cyradm --user gary at domain.com remotehost <-- can login but no admin access, even if gary at domain.com is in imapd.conf file

Any advice on how to connect to the remote cyrus host with an admin account? All of the scripts connect via imaps as well, which shouldn't matter in this case.