cannot retrieve mail in desktop client

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Jun 30 12:52:37 EDT 2011

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, JonL wrote:

> Created a log file to see what is going on this is the results, I believe I
> see a no permission denied, is this the permissions on the mailbox?

Kind of.  Your Outlook client is trying to create a folder in the wrong
place.

> <1309447583<4 LIST "" "*"^M
>> 1309447583>* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"^M
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Sent"^M
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Trash"^M
> 4 OK Completed (0.000 secs 4 calls)^M

You are running Cyrus with altnamespace:0 (the default) in imapd.conf.  In
this mode, all folders are sub-folders of INBOX.  You can see that above
where your Send and Trash folders are actually "INBOX.Sent" and
"INBOX.Trash".

> <1309447583<6 CREATE Notes^M
>> 1309447583>6 NO Permission denied^M

This CREATE fails because your user does not have permission to create a
top-level mailbox.  It should instead be trying to create "INBOX.Notes".
I don't remember where the mailbox prefix / namespace is configured in
Outlook, but you need to set it to "INBOX.".

An alternative is to to set altnamespace:1 in imapd.conf, which will
present your folders to IMAP clients like:

INBOX
Sent
Trash

I think people are more comfortable with this structure, so that's how we
run it here.

 	Andy