cannot retrieve mail in desktop client

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Jun 30 06:45:24 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 11:22 +0800, JonL wrote:
> g'day all
> I'm new hear so please bear with me... this is my first cyru-imap
> install

Congratulations.

> Issue:
> I've had to rebuild my linux server mail server due to a hdd crash.
> In so doing I've installed cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-27.8, with postfix.

2.2.12 is *REALLY* *REALLY* *REALLY* ***OLD***.

> I've got postfix working as I can see mail going to "a" mailbox.
> Jun 30 10:04:33 mmtlnx postfix/local[8833]: E149F193AB:
> to=<jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>, relay=local, delay=1, status=sent
> (delivered to maildir)

This is not delivering to Cyrus.  "local" means Postfix is just dumping
the message in the filesystem.

What distro are you using?  Modern disto's like openSUSE let you
configure Postfix via a UI [yast2 in that case] that will do the work
for you.

In postfix you need something like:
 mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp

This tells it to put messages into the LMTP pipe that flows into the
Cyrus mail-store.

> I have to assume that this is going to /home/jlmiller/Maildir/new

Why?  Don't assume things, you'll never get anywhere.  Cyrus does not
use Maildir;  it has its own sealed, and awesome, mailstore.