Cyrus 2.4.X delete mailbox oddities

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 28 05:02:01 EDT 2011

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Bron Gondwana wrote:

>> I have however discovered two wrinkles when deleting mailboxes selected by
>> some other IMAP session. PINE might leave a mailbox selected for days.
>
> Well, that's classy PINE.

Do you want to have an debate with Mark Crispin about correct behaviour of
IMAP clients? I still have the scars from last time, and that was probably
about 1997 :)

> How is it keeping the connection open?  Surely it sees the deletion
> event and closes it.

PINE sees that the messages in the selected mailbox have been expunged:

  . NOOP
  * 1 EXPUNGE
  . OK Completed

It would need to do a 'LIST "" *' to spot that the list of available
mailboxes had changed.

I've just trying forcing this and it doesn't seem to unselect the deleted
mailbox. It is possible that it would sort itself out eventually, but the
deleted mailbox was still selected after several minutes.

> Yeah, sorry - short of forcibly killing the connection, there's not much
> we can do about this without breaking the guarantees that messages are
> still available.

Fair enough. I don't know whether this is actually a problem yet, I just
noticed a difference in behaviour from 2.3.X in my testing.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.