seen corruption

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 17 14:00:34 EDT 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:38:07 -0400
ssureshot <ssureshot at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a user that has had a corrupted seen file two times this week.
> The process I have done to fix is simply kill user process's and rename
> the user.seen file then have the log back in and all starts working..
>
> My question, is this all I need to do? Do I need to run a reconstruct on
> their mailbox? Any special steps?

For those not following the IRC channel - (since we saw you on there!)

Cyrus before 2.3.12 has bugs in the skiplist implementation which mean
that concurrent access can corrupt any skiplist file.

The recommended solution is of course to upgrade to a newer version, but
if you're willing to recompile Cyrus you can probably just copy
lib/cyrusdb_skiplist.c from a newer version.

And in cyrus 2.4.x, the user's own seen data is stored in cyrus.index
anwyay, so the seen files get a lot less IO (only shared folders) plus
the fixed skiplist library!

Bron.