Scaling of imap servers

Ram ram at netcore.co.in
Fri Jun 17 06:51:33 EDT 2011

On 06/16/2011 07:54 PM, Pascal Gienger wrote:
> Am 16.06.11 15:26, schrieb Ramprasad A.P:
>
>> Using outsourced mail is not possible
> Amazon cloud *IS* outsourced mail, Amazon has access to your virtual
> servers and it passes without VPN into their network.

But having a private server  from vendor and running our software is
different from using the vendors  mail server
Running hired servers was never considered a security issue.
But handing over the mail app completely to a vendor seems a risk (
especially to my job :-) )

>> The biggest problem is harddisk space
>> Every user is looking for huge amounts of diskspace even if I need
>> 20GB per user I cant get so much disk space at affordable cost.
>
> 20K users with 20G each = 400 TB. With zfs compression perhaps 300 TB.
>
> How much does it cost to use 300T redundant fault-tolerant storage in an
> Amazon Cloud?

They dont seem to offer 300T of storage , I tried the same with
rackspace they too limit the maximum direct storage to around 600G per
server
( Their cloud FS is much lower on I/O and wont fit the bill for a  mail
server )

> Google Mail does use your text patterns in your mail for advertising.
> That's the way you're paying them. And they don't restore your mailbox
> unless you use a business contract which means costs for each mailbox.
> There's no such thing as a free lunch.

I think that is perfectly reasonable ..