Scaling of imap servers

Pascal Gienger pascal.gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Jun 16 10:24:11 EDT 2011

Am 16.06.11 15:26, schrieb Ramprasad A.P:

> Using outsourced mail is not possible

Amazon cloud *IS* outsourced mail, Amazon has access to your virtual
servers and it passes without VPN into their network.

> The biggest problem is harddisk space
> Every user is looking for huge amounts of diskspace even if I need
> 20GB per user I cant get so much disk space at affordable cost.

20K users with 20G each = 400 TB. With zfs compression perhaps 300 TB.

How much does it cost to use 300T redundant fault-tolerant storage in an
Amazon Cloud?

Google Mail does use your text patterns in your mail for advertising.
That's the way you're paying them. And they don't restore your mailbox
unless you use a business contract which means costs for each mailbox.
There's no such thing as a free lunch.