disabling shared namespace

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 25 16:54:37 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:34:24PM +0200, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:45:10AM -0400, John Madden wrote:
> > Our issues with cpu usage with very large mailbox databases (4 million
> > mailboxes) persist and I started poking at source code this morning,
> > finally having time to look for a fix again.
> >
> > I originally wrote about this some time ago:
> >
> > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.cyrus/32964
> >
> > Again, we have no use for a shared mailbox namespace but there doesn't
> > appear to be any way to easily disable it.  Could it be as simple as
> > just removing everything but NAMESPACE_INBOX from the enum in
> > imap/mboxname.h?  In other words, if we change it to
>
> Have you tried foolstupidclients?

I'm sorry, I should have read more!

I'll have an actual look at the code now :)

I can tell you right away that removing stuff from the ENUM is going to
break unless you also remove every use of the ENUM items.

You want to search for this in imap/mboxlist.c: mboxlist_findall
(it's line 1926 in 2.4.10)

    if(!r) {
>-------cbrock.find_namespace = NAMESPACE_USER;
>-------/* switch to pattern with domain prepended */

And change it to if(0) { or just delete that block of code.

I wonder if we should just not do that lookup if foolstupidclients is on.
Feel free to file a bug if you want, and ask around on the mailing list.
I'd be happy to change foolstupidclients to do this, or add another
option if there are any foolstupidclients users who care about it.

Bron.