SASLAUTH and cyrus

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Fri Jul 22 23:03:16 EDT 2011

On 22/07/11 15:52 -0700, Maria McKinley wrote:
>On 7/22/11 2:53 PM, Dan White wrote:
>> On 22/07/11 12:49 -0700, Maria McKinley wrote:
>>> This appears to be a username/password problem, rather than an
>>> installation problem, since things work fine for postmaster:
>>
>> What is your sasl configuration in imapd.conf? (grep for sasl)
>>

>sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
>
>sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>
>sasl_auto_transition: no
>

>> If pwcheck_method does not include 'auxprop' in your configuration, then
>> you are not using sasldb2 to authenticate. Your admin accounts should be
>> using the same authentication database as your normal users, which could be
>> PAM, for instance, if you're configured to use saslauthd.
>
>Hmm, I am using PAM for other things, maybe I should be using PAM here
>too? It appears I am not now.

with sasl_pwcheck_method set to saslauthd, your authentication will
be handled by the saslauthd daemon, and which ever backend it's using.

For instance, if your saslauthd is running with '-a pam', then your
authentication is handled by a pam configuration named 'imap', or by a
catchall pam configuration, in which case 'passwd' might be sufficient for
changing your admin passwords.

--
Dan White