sync_shutdown_file example and instructions on how to use it

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Tue Jul 19 21:16:53 EDT 2011

On 19/07/11 18:39 +0300, Ivan Lezhnjov Jr. wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>can someone please explain quickly how to set up cyrus-imap to use
>sync_shutdown_file. What is this file? How does one create it? What is
>it expected to contain? How to use it?

Documentation is slim, and seems to be confined to the man pages for
imapd.conf and sync_client.

During rolling replication, at a point at which it would be safe to exit,
sync_client will check for the existence of the specified
sync_shutdown_file (or -F shutdown-file). If it exists, sync_client will
remove the file and exit.

The file does not need to contain any contents, and could simply be created
with 'touch <sync_shutdown_file>'.

There is no default location for the file, and one would need to be
specified in imapd.conf before executing rolling replication, or as a
command line option (-F) to sync_client for it to be searched for.

It should have proper permissions to allow sync_client to remove it on
exit, or it might fail to start again until it's manually removed.

The manpage for imapd.conf says:

   ... Prefix with a channel name to only apply for that channel

But it's not clear to me what that means.

--
Dan White