lmtp vs cyrus

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Sat Jan 29 12:36:59 EST 2011

On 29/01/11 10:13 -0500, Diego Ventrice wrote:
>I wonder in which situations it is better to use lmtp over
>cyrus-cyrdeliver or viceversa as the mailbox_transport.
>
>For instance, if Im setting postfix for  virtualdomains accounts. Isnt
>it necesary to set cyrdeliver with special parameters ?

The FAQ lists some reasons:

http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.6/faq.php

LMTP has the advantage of not executing a new process with each email
delivery, allows you to run your smtp mta and cyrus lmtpd daemon on
separate hosts, and allows you to make use of single instance store for
multiple lmtp recipients.

deliver/cyrdeliver has the advantage of working with more MTAs - those
that aren't lmtp aware. It also may fit more flexibly into existing
procmail or virus scanning environments that know how to pipe an email but
don't know how to speak lmtp.

--
Dan White