Reconstruct on a live Cyrus system

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Jan 29 09:03:50 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 18:00 +0530, Shuvam Misra wrote:
> Guys,
> One basic question, which is not explicitly covered in the reconstruct
> manpage. Can I run a reconstruct on a user's mailbox when imapd is
> running and there's a risk that the user may connect to his mailbox?
> I need to know this for Cyrus v2.2 as well as later versions. Help,
> please?

Yes, it works fine.  But it does lock the mailbox during reconstruct.
If the mailbox is open reconstruct will 'hang' until the mailbox becomes
available.  If reconstruct is running the client will 'hang' until
reconstruction completes.

I'm not certain what happens to delivery to the mailbox - I've always
*assumed* it is a transient error and delivery gets reattempted by the
MTA.