Disallow cleartext on the wire

Lucas Zinato Carraro lucaszc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 18:17:36 EST 2011

RFC2595 -  not recommended IMAPs, but I disagree in some points.

imaps and pop3s ports

    Separate "imaps" and "pop3s" ports were registered for use with
SSL. Use of these ports is discouraged in favor of the STARTTLS or
STLS    commands.

       - Separate ports lead to a separate URL scheme which intrudes into
         the user interface in inappropriate ways.  For example, many web
         pages use language like "click here if your browser supports SSL."
         This is a decision the browser is often more capable of making than
         the user.

 But many clients has option to confirm if  server certificate is correct.

         - Separate ports imply a model of either "secure" or "not secure."
         This can be misleading in a number of ways.  First, the "secure"
         port may not in fact be acceptably secure as an export-crippled
         cipher suite might be in use.  This can mislead users into a false
         sense of security.  Second, the normal port might in fact be
         secured by using a SASL mechanism which includes a security layer.
         Thus the separate port distinction makes the complex topic of
         security policy even more confusing.  One common result of this
          confusion is that firewall administrators are often misled into
         permitting the "secure" port and blocking the standard port.
        This could be a poor choice given the common use of SSL with a
40-bit key
         encryption layer and plain-text password authentication is
less secure than
         strong SASL mechanisms such as GSSAPI with Kerberos 5.

 Again,   many clients has option to confirm if  connection is  secure.
 Use of SSL with a 40-bit key  can be used with other connections too.
 I do'nt see a serious provider implementing this.

         - Use of separate ports for SSL has caused clients to implement only
         two security policies: use SSL or don't use SSL.  The desirable
         security policy "use TLS when available" would be cumbersome with
         the separate port model, but is simple with STARTTLS.

Clients implement several methods and not only one or two.
I do'nt see any modern mail client that not implement "imaps"
but i see clients that not implement STARTTLS.

       - Port numbers are a limited resource.  While they are not yet in
         short supply, it is unwise to set a precedent that could double (or
         worse) the speed of their consumption.

But IMAPs and SMTPs use only 2 ports.

Zinato