Detecting last login IMAP and expire old messages

steffo76 at gmx.de steffo76 at gmx.de
Mon Jan 10 09:00:20 EST 2011

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:37:14 -0500
> Von: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>
> An: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
> Betreff: Re: Detecting last login IMAP and expire old messages

> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 09:13 -0400, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> if
> > > Yes, set the "expire" annotation on the folder.  For example, we set
> > > this to 365 on the user's sent-mail folder and to 14 for the users
> SPAM
> > > folder.
> > But he only wants to expire messages if the user has not logged in in
> > the last 6 months.
>
> Ah, my bad.
>
> I suppose then it is really an authentication question and not a mailbox
> question.  Hrm.... it would be nice to have a reliable and standard way
> to determine when the last time user xyz was authenticated; but I'm not
> aware of any such thing.

If pam is being used (I don't have the original mail here) you could use pam_lastlog with the 'silent' option so it just updates /var/log/lastlog each time the user logs in via imap or pop. Naturally if you allow other forms of login like ssh etc. lastlog might get updated each time someone logs in (depending on the other pam configurations). If you then say lastlog -b 180 it will show you all the usernames which haven't logged in for at least 180 days.