custom notifications

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Tue Feb 15 08:07:41 EST 2011

> On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 10:37 +0100, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to write a custom notification system (using xmmp or
>> something like that, I don't know yet :)) for cyrus.
>
> +1, same here.
>
>> I've had a look at the notify_unix/simple_notify - file in the
>> contrib-directory. It doesn't seem to work in my installation (the
>> script doesn't log any notifications, although notifyd does for
>> example notify zephyr, which works), or maybe I don't understand the
>> concept of notifications. So I'd like to ask a couple of questions:
>
> I believe notifications have to be pushed by SIEVE.  At least that is
> what I recall from the last time I looked at it [quite some time ago].
>
>> * does anybody have custom notifications up and running by reading the
>> notification-socket of cyrus?
>
> Not me.  I've tried.  The documentation is beyond "thin".
>
>> * does notifyd need to be running in order to make the notify-socket
>> readable, or is the notify-socket filled by the cyrus-master process?
>
> The socket won't exist unless the notify server is defined.
>
>> * where would I find instructions on that?
>
> There is very little beyond the man page and the one perl script you
> found.

Despite the new feature in 2.4 (which I didn't know before) I've included
my notify_sms patch into the RPM and IIRC it has even worked when I tested
it :) It can be used to notify using any kind of script and it even comes
with a README.
Maybe I should remove it now that 2.4 seems to have builtin functionality
for it.

Simon