custom notifications

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 15 07:33:41 EST 2011

...initially forgot to send to the list.  sorry.

On 02/15/2011 04:37 AM, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to write a custom notification system (using xmmp or something like that, I don't know yet :)) for cyrus.
> I've had a look at the notify_unix/simple_notify - file in the contrib-directory. It doesn't seem to work in my installation (the script doesn't log any notifications, although notifyd does for example notify zephyr, which works), or maybe I don't understand the concept of notifications. So I'd like to ask a couple of questions:
> * does anybody have custom notifications up and running

Yes.

> by reading the notification-socket of cyrus?

No.

> * does notifyd need to be running in order to make the notify-socket readable, or is the notify-socket filled by the cyrus-master process?
> * where would I find instructions on that?

You want to set the notify_external option in imapd.conf and point that
at a program (script, binary, whatever) that you write.  notifyd will
fork/exec your program and pass it -c, -p, -u and -m command line
arguments.  Your program can then to whatever custom notification you
want it to.

This was added in the 2.4.x series.  The imapd.conf option is documented
in the imapd.conf manpage here:

http://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.6/man/imapd.conf.5.php

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks!

Dave