LMTP bounces with invalid chars in MAIL FROM adress

mayak-cq mayak at australsat.com
Tue Feb 15 04:08:01 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 17:11 +0100, Simon Matter wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 16:09 +0100, Simon Matter wrote:

<snip>

> > i have also seen this lately -- coming from LMTP as well -- running your
> > 2.3.16 rpm ...
> >
> > is this related?
>
> Your mail contains another error but the problem is the same in the end,
> your MTA accepts a mail which is later refused by Cyrus-IMAPd.
>
> Both cases are bad because it creates backscatter.
>
> Would be nice to know what exactly is wrong with the mail in your case.

hi simon,

i never found the mail anywhere -- it passed amavis, so no traces there,
and the mail couldn't be delivered via LMTP, so i think it just got
discarded -- postfix didn't have an address to send a bounce to.

the source of the mail (in my logging) is real -- it's HP's licensing
department. i am going to tcpdump -s0 and capture to a file so as to
watch the entire conversation. i'll send you a copy off list.

thanks