rsync problem backing up cyrus-imap emails

Nikos Gatsis - Qbit ngatsis at qbit.gr
Tue Feb 8 09:15:51 EST 2011

Hello list
I use rsync to backup cyrus mail dirs using the following command:

rsync -vaR --delete --log-file=/var/log/rsync /var/lib/imap
/var/spool/imap/ /mnt/backup

The destination is a Lacie external network drive in ntfs format.
The problem I have is that rsync change email names from, lets say 102.
to 2RB3UX~6.

I also backup to a local ext3 format hard drive where files save with
exactly same name with right attributes, and rights with no problem.
I try to rsync to a window pc shared folder and the emails saved also
with the same names as used (102. to 102.)

The external disk cant change from ntfs to ext format.

Does someone had the same problem?
Thank you in advance.