New 2.4.10 install - authentication problems with saslauthd

John cyrus at jelmail.com
Sat Aug 6 06:44:52 EDT 2011

On 05/08/11 22:32, Dan White wrote:
> Does your cyrus user have permissions to access the saslauthd mux?
>
> Try running your testsaslauthd command as your cyrus user... I'm assuming
> that during testing you were using root, or another account.

Aha! Thank you so much. I had checked the permissions on
/var/run/saslauthd/mux and they were 777 and also the directory
/var/run/saslauthd which had 766. . I assumed  that these were
sufficient but I just changed the directory also to 777 and all works well.

However I am not sure 777 is the right way to sort the problem. I've
looked in the sasl documentation and can find nothing at all regarding
the entitlements of /var/run/saslauthd. Is there any guidance on how the
entitlement should be given? I would have expected to need some kind of
group entitlement to be giveen to sasl users? Or is 777 ok?

At least it's now working so I appreciate your help with that.

> Be aware that your password here is uuencoded and can be trivially
> reversed.

Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of that. It doesn't matter anyway,
these are just test systems not connected to the outside world and that
will be trashed when I'm finished.