Ever growing mailboxes and archiving

Paolo Cravero pcravero at as2594.net
Tue Apr 19 05:18:55 EDT 2011

On 18/04/2011 17.19, Vincent Fox wrote:

> What web-based client?  Why would you expect it to die?

It is Open Xchange. Some users do not organize messages in folders, just
leave everything in the INBOX. So, depending on the (web)client
implementation, such a huge number of items can be a performance hog.

For example OX has a cache of some thousand message headers to make
scrolling smooth. If items in the folder are more than the cache can
hold, an IMAP LIST is issued at every scrollbar movement...

I have seen Thunderbird choke on a Premier Gmail account with some
thousands of messages in one folder/label. But that might have well been
cause by a slow server response.

> As to SAN, this maybe related.....
>
> We have found netbackup on large Cyrus mail-store volumes are a

Curiously I read your reply after greeting Symantec's sales team that
paid us a visit! So I am now studying netbackup7 on my own.

Thank you for the insight in the problems you're running. I will talk
with the storage guys here so check how our product is expected to cope
with many small files (well, it is already doing it with the existing
email infrastructure anyway).

Paolo