in place upgrade from 2.2 to 2.4?

OBATA Akio obata at lins.jp
Sat Apr 9 09:09:48 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 19:40:50 +0900, Carl Brewer <carl at bl.echidna.id.au> wrote:

> G'day,
> I'm running Cyrus imapd on NetBSD (pkgsrc), my current version is
> 2.2.13, and I figure it's about time to bump it to 2.4 (.7 ATM).   Via
> pkgsrc I can build it, but am a bit reluctant to do a make update, does
> anyone have any experience with doing this in place on a current site?
> Will it 'just work' if I shut down the 2.2 processes, update cyrus and
> restart the daemons or will weird things happen?  any doco on how to do
> this?

As a maintainer of pkgsrc/cyrus-imapd{23,24}, pkgsrc have no patches
other than build fixes, so /usr/pkg/share/doc/cyrus-imapd/install-upgrade.html
will help you.

It is important reminder that pkgsrc have nothing to do migration of configuration
files unless you have no customization.  If so, you need to migrate by hand.

For me (NetBSD/i386), with step-by-step update, I cannot remember what I did
something special.  As you wrote, just stop, update package, start new cyrus.

OBATA Akio / obata at lins.jp