high-availability Cyrus (i.e. glusterfs)?

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Sep 28 09:56:23 EDT 2010

Quoting Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org>:

> On 28.09.2010 15:01, John Madden wrote:
>>> Still, we need to have Cyrus database, mail storage accessible for
>>> both servers. I though using glusterfs for it would be a good idea
>>> (assuming Cyrus only runs on one of the servers at a given time).
>>
>> IMO, don't use glusterfs for this. I found it to not even be sufficient
>> for a PHP session store; it'll certainly fall over with IMAP loads.
>
> Any other suggestions? There is an alternatives like Ceph[1], but it is
> just too new (and potentially can have some edge cases).
>
> DRBD + GFS/OCFS2 just seem too complex for such setup.
>
> Other than that, I use glusterfs in several setups, and I don't have any
> dramatic performance problems with it (still slower than bare metal of
> course) - will depend on workload and expected performance of course.
>

> [1] http://ceph.newdream.net/about/

Most Cluster-/Sharedfilesystems are good with few big files. But
because of the metadatahandling these FS all lose performance if you
have many small files, and cyrus has many files.

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen