high-availability Cyrus (i.e. glusterfs)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Sep 28 09:30:34 EDT 2010

On 28.09.2010 15:01, John Madden wrote:
>> Still, we need to have Cyrus database, mail storage accessible for
>> both servers. I though using glusterfs for it would be a good idea
>> (assuming Cyrus only runs on one of the servers at a given time).
>
> IMO, don't use glusterfs for this. I found it to not even be sufficient
> for a PHP session store; it'll certainly fall over with IMAP loads.

Any other suggestions? There is an alternatives like Ceph[1], but it is
just too new (and potentially can have some edge cases).

DRBD + GFS/OCFS2 just seem too complex for such setup.

Other than that, I use glusterfs in several setups, and I don't have any
dramatic performance problems with it (still slower than bare metal of
course) - will depend on workload and expected performance of course.

[1] http://ceph.newdream.net/about/

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org