high-availability Cyrus (i.e. glusterfs)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Sep 28 05:25:59 EDT 2010

On 28.09.2010 10:56, Michael Menge wrote:

> Cyrus depends on locks and mmap, so your fs must support them.
> I had written a summery of the diskussions about Cyrus and HA in the
> old wiki. But the wiki was replaced by the new wiki. I will have a look
> if I have a copy.

I would be grateful.

> If you plan to run in active-passive mode, did you considre Cyrus
> replication? You will need twice the disk space, but you remove a single
> point of failure (glustefs)

Glusterfs is there to avoid SPOF - as the filesystem sits on two
servers. So assuming I won't do rm -rf /gluster-filesystem, it should be
quite safe. And it too needs twice the disk space, since it's replicated
with glusterfs on both servers.

However, I'm of course open to better alternatives.

I'm running Debian Lenny, which ships with Cyrus 2.2.13 - not sure if
Cyrus replication is possible there? I'd like to stick with distro
packages, but if a newer Cyrus version provides features which let you
do HA without too much hackarounds, I'll consider upgrading.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org