How to migrate away from BDB

J. Roeleveld joost at antarean.org
Tue Sep 28 03:16:39 EDT 2010

On Monday 27 September 2010 17:30:01 Mark Nipper wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2010, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > I wasn't able to find a specific howto for this during a brief
> > Google-search.
>
> 	I recalled that the Debian package for Cyrus had some
> decent instructions on this.  You can see them at:
> ---
> https://mail.incase.de/svn/cyrus22/trunk/cyrus-imapd-2.2.13/debian/README.D
> ebian.database
>
> 	That will get you started.  I have this at the bottom of
> my imapd.conf:
> ---
> # bypass BDB hell
> annotation_db: skiplist
> duplicate_db: skiplist
> mboxlist_db: skiplist
> ptscache_db: skiplist
> quota_db: skiplist
> seenstate_db: skiplist
> subscription_db: skiplist
> tlscache_db: skiplist
> ---
>
> 	So those were all of the different databases I converted
> to skiplist to avoid any potential problems.

Thank you, I will have a look through this.
Are there any caveats I need to be aware off?

I am planning on taking notes of all the changes and actions I take and post
them back to the list. (This thread is here to keep a record as well :) )

Lets start with the basic info about my installation:
Cyrus version: 2.3.14-r3 (The "-r3" is, afaik, Gentoo-specific)

I don't appear to have these files:
**
diff -u /usr/lib/cyrus/cyrus-db-types.active \
           /usr/lib/cyrus/cyrus-db-types.txt
**

Are these Debian specific? Or is there something missing from my installation?
Or do these only exist when Cyrus is not running? (Which I would find strange)

And from what I gather, the instructions refer back to the contents of these
files.
Is there a way to get these files created?

Thanks,

Joost