competition

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed Sep 22 10:06:18 EDT 2010

> On Wednesday 22 September 2010 15:29:20 Kenneth Marshall wrote:
>> which

>> > Yep, I plan to migrate to skiplist some day :)
>> >
>> > Now if only I could use skiplist with openldap ;)
>>
>> Sadly, OpenLDAP does need the performance of BDB.
>
> With current "LDIF" exports of OpenLDAP, the downtime caused by a corrupt
> BDB
> database is "acceptable".
>
> Is a similar method possible with cyrus?
> Eg. a simple command that exports all BDB-database-files to a simple
> format
> that can easily be re-imported into Cyrus when the DBD is corrupted?

That's exactly what our RPM does. It converts all BDB databases to
skiplist on shutdown. On startup, it detects the format of all database
files and converts it back to what is configured if needed.

As Bron told us, with 2.4 the magic on startup is done inside Cyrus. My
question remains, why can't we get rid of BDB completely?

Simon