competition

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed Sep 22 09:04:17 EDT 2010

> On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 14:44 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> On Wednesday 22 September 2010 13:47:26 Jeffrey T Eaton wrote:
>> <snipped>
>> I am probably missing some info here, but....
>> > And, as Bron has said, there's something wrong with the way Cyrus uses
>> BDB.
>> >  I've never been able to understand BDB well enough to figure it out
>> > myself, nor have I ever found anyone who can help.  For what its
>> worth, I
>> > solved the problem by not using BDB at all on the Cyrus systems I
>> used.
>> If it is possible to not use BDB, and BDB causes problems with upgrades,
>> why
>> is BDB still used then?
>
> BDB is wicked fast and scales well.  At least that is the typical
> argument in defense of BDB.  And given the stellar performance one sees
> from OpenLDAP I'm prone to believing it.

Fine, that may all be true. But I never ever heard someone going from BDB
to skiplist only and coming back because he had any performance issues.
Maybe it doesn't matter so much with Cyrus and we should try to find out
what is "Poetry and Truth"? If BDB is not really required for Cyrus it
could be made optional for those who really want it.

BTW, it's even worse than Bron said. You not only get errors in the logs
even without using any BDB, you can also end up with a broken BDB
environment which prevents Cyrus from starting up :)

Simon