competition

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Sep 22 07:57:03 EDT 2010

--On 22. September 2010 07:47:26 -0400 Jeffrey T Eaton <jeaton at cmu.edu>
wrote:

> All of that said, I believe that, in general, you can safely upgrade BDB.
> If you have a Cyrus installation using BDB X, you can drop in a new Cyrus
> using BDB Y, as long as everything is shut down in between.  You can't go
> back without effort, but upgrades should work.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. *If* an application uses BDB's environment
features (not all do!), you *cannot* simply upgrade, unless the application
is programmed to perform the upgrade automatically. Otherwise you have to
either use db_upgrade to convert the environment to the current version, or
you use db_dump and db_load. There's a db_upgrade() call in the library
that could be used, but it might not work in all cases:

Errors
The DB->upgrade() method may fail and return one of the following non-zero
errors:

DB_OLD_VERSION - The database cannot be upgraded by this version of the
Berkeley DB software.
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.