competition

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 22 06:21:21 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:13:20AM +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2010 09:01:33 Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 08:02:35AM +0200, Simon Matter wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
> > Bron ( really trying to make Cyrus newbie-friendly as well as advanced-site
> >        friendly.  I also want auto-recompilation of sieve scripts, and
> >        auto-fixing of broken .cache files )
>
> Now that you mention it, what would be needed to do to "auto-recompile" sieve-
> scripts?
> If that would work, I could edit the file directly in the respective location,
> rather then having to play with the sieve management tool or a MUA with sieve-
> support. :)

Hmm...

I take it all back. We did this a while back, and it's the path to great
sadness.  Directly editing the file in place means we can't auto-replicate
it, can't add CRC checks on the contents, etc.

The files on disk are internal format files, not to be fiddled with
directly.  Use an API.  Now the lack of a good command to copy a file
into place, enable it, etc.  I'm sold on that.  A command line tool
to install a new sieve file for a user would be handy.

But no direct editing of files on disk please.

Bron.