De-duping attachments

Marc Patermann hans.moser at ofd-z.niedersachsen.de
Thu Sep 16 11:00:24 EDT 2010

Hi,

Shuvam Misra schrieb am 15.09.2010 03:40 Uhr:

> How difficult or easy would it be to modify Cyrus to strip all
> attachments from emails and store them separately in files? In the
> message file, replace the attachment with a special tag which will point
> to the attachment file. Whenever the message is fetched for any reason,
> the original MIME-encoded message will be re-constructed and delivered.
mh, OK, I'm not sure if I should post this here, but the is another IMAP
server (some say: "the new kid on the block") and as I came above it a
few day ago, they are working on the same thing:

http://blog.dovecot.org/2010/07/single-instance-attachment-storage.html

I did not follow the discussion, but at least there is a discussion
about this feature elsewhere.

Marc