A beginner question about Murder

Michel Sébastien Sebastien.Michel at atosorigin.com
Thu Sep 16 04:07:42 EDT 2010

Hi,
we use a modified "traditional" murder, i.e. without murder daemon, to host more than 2 million mailboxes (dozen million entries in mboxlist with folders)

We started to host 200.000 mailboxes on the "traditional" murder, configured with berkeley as cyrusdb backend due to lot of corruptions with default skiplist format (cyrus 2.3.9).
However we had a lot of locks and contentions with berkeleydb, so we migrated later to cyrus 2.3.13 on a skiplist backend. Unfortunately the more we hosted mailboxes the more we had production issues. Indeed database resync is not incremental and servers restart were increasingly longer. Moreover we had instability with skiplist backend around 7.8 million entries and failed to reach 8 million entries.

Finally we chose to develop a customized mysql backend. Front-ends and back-ends are all connected to the same DB but SQL results are rewritten with plugins to make them happy (return mailbox type 1 for proxy en mailbox type 0 for backend). Now there is no more latency or issue and mysql allows us to host more several dozens million of entries.

So, we are totally murderless. FEs are scalable thanks to mysql replication and BEs are almost high available (our mysql failover is read-only and don't permit acl or folder management, but it is acceptable for us).
We developed our owns mysql backend and we can share the source code if someone is interested (perhaps need some clean-up and code rewrite to adapt to the "official" sql backend)

Sébastien