De-duping attachments

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Wed Sep 15 04:53:09 EDT 2010

On Wed, September 15, 2010 10:01 am, Simon Matter wrote:

> I guess much more efficient than a compressing filesystem would be a
> compressing and de-duping filesystem or disk storage in this case. Has anyone
> tried this with a Cyrus message store with lots of "corporate message data"
> stored on it?

Simon,

The Cyrus server I hope to get online tomorrow evening holds 4.2 TB of mail
and uses ZFS with maximal compression (gzip9) for the message files.
(OS : Solaris 10)

ZFS reports a compressratio of between 1.95 and 1.97 (we have nine partitions)

A series of tests revealed our metadata can actually be compressed by a factor
of 3.76 (!)

Perhaps a two-university environment with 60,000+ users doesn't quite qualify
as "corporate" enough but here you have our figures :-)

Regards,
Eric.