CVS to GIT

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Sep 13 19:34:16 EDT 2010

Brian Awood wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:34:02 +0200, "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)"
>
> <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com> wrote:
> > Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> >> My other point, of course, was that since the PostgreSQL guys worked to
> >> fix a couple of bugs in cvs2git over the past couple of weeks, you may
> >> get a better result if you grab the tip version of cvs2git and re-run
> >> the conversion.
> >
> > If we were using cvs2git, sure! But we're not using cvs2git, we're using
> > git-cvsimport ;-)
>
> I would highly recommend cvs2git over git-cvsimport for reproducing an
> accurate history of the cvs repository.  cvs2git doesn't do incremental
> imports like cvsimport, but I don't think that is needed in this situation.
>  You may want to give it a try, just for a comparison anyway.

I'm not sure what I am to understand from this. I've done thousands of
conversions both with cvs2git as well as git-cvsimport. If you think there is
a problem with git-cvsimport I may be unaware of, or there is a solution
cvs2git has implemented that may or may not have been an actual problem with
git-cvsimport, please point those out.

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen