Running multiple instances of cyrus for clustering

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Sep 13 05:17:19 EDT 2010

Hi,

Quoting Ram <ram at netcore.co.in>:

> I am thinking of running mutiple instances of cyrus on a single machine
> with different sets of mailboxes.
>
> The Idea is that I would have two cyrus imap servers running on
> different machines and in case of any failure both instances will be run
> from the same machine ( obviously at a lower performance )
>
> Is this a good idea ?

IMHO yes,

we want to run this kind of setup in produktion soon. We have choosen
to use Cyrus Murder to ease failover.

Each server will run 1 frontend, 1 backend and 1 replication server
in case of failure of one server the corresponding replic will become
backend.  If the failed server is back onlie we will use replication to
bring the original backend up to date.

We will use ClusterIP for loadbalancing the Frontend connections.

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen