Another basic question about Cyrus replication

Shuvam Misra shuvam.misra at merceworld.com
Mon Sep 13 03:10:19 EDT 2010

> > One more question about sync-server and sync-client. Suppose I have two
> > active servers, A and B, which contain completely disjoint sets of
> > mailboxes. Can both replicate simultaneously to a replica server C? I
> > will run sync-server only on C, and sync-client on A and B, pointing them
> > both to C.
>
> Sort of - but it's not really recommended.  Running a separate instance of
> Cyrus for each replica (with a different set of config files) would be
> more compatible with the way it's designed to work.

Okay, got it, somewhat. Can you please elaborate what you mean by "more
compatible"?

> > If this is possible, I can maintain a slow backup server with large
> > disks to maintain a backup of a dozen separate active Cyrus servers where
> > the user mailboxes are distributed across this dozen.
>
> You'll find the replica still gets a lot of write IO.  If your master copies
> are already getting a lot of writes, the replica is going to struggle.

Yes, this occurred to me later. I realised that I may be able to work
with a lower-powered CPU, but will find it difficult to work unless the
replica server had high enough IOPS to handle all the disk I/O. :)

thanks a lot,
Shuvam