A beginner question about Murder

Shuvam Misra shuvam.misra at merceworld.com
Fri Sep 10 00:07:29 EDT 2010

> Yes, this.  Absolutely.  The replication code is pretty safe for multi-master
> in my branch already.  At least for mailboxes.  Sieve, Seen and Subs are
> somewhat trickier.  I think the only really safe way is to keep "deletion"
> entries around and replicate those too so you can tell the difference between
> a creation at one and and a deletion at the other!

Aren't we really talking single-master at the mailbox level? The problems
of true multi-master are non-trivial, IMHO, but if we are running a pair
of Cyrus stacks replicating on each other, each mailbox will have its
master copy only on one server, and will replicate on the other.

The trick then will be to separate out the IMAP daemon and the sync_server
to make them work on separate partitioned areas of the same message
store and meta-data store. The IMAP daemon will only serve those parts
which have local store as master, and sync-server will only update those
areas for which it is acting as replica server.

If the buddy server fails, then I should be able to get the remaining
server into full-serving mode by switching config files, shutting down
sync-server, and allowing the IMAP daemon to serve data from the entire
(now undivided) store.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong? Will this be the right
way to proceed?

Shuvam