A beginner question about Murder

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Thu Sep 9 14:15:52 EDT 2010

On 08 Sep 2010, at 16:41, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> Unfortunately, I've never setup a "unified" Murder, so I don't fully
> understand what the advantages and disadvantages of it compared to a
> "traditional" Murder.  Maybe someone else can jump in here with their
> experiences.

The main advantage is that BEs can proxy for other BEs, no FEs are required.  In m observation, the FEs are typically CPU bound, while the BEs are typically IO bound.  Since the BEs have an excess of CPU, it makes some sense to combine the two roles.

Other than the bugs one finds in new code, unified is logically superior to "traditional" and in the long run traditional should be retired.

In the future, I'd like to add "unified" replication, masterless murder, and auto failover. In my ideal minimum system, there are two machines, replicating to each other, providing high availability, proxying, etc.

:wes