shared \seen flags on shared folders

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Thu Sep 9 05:55:28 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 06:10:44PM +0100, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> > What happens if the sharedseen attribute is changed during the lifetime of
> > a folder, when users may already have their own (or shared) \Seen flags?
>
> In Cyrus 2.3 and before (i.e. everything that's released now!) they are
> completely separate.  Under the hood, the \Seen flags are actually owned
> by a 'nobody' user.

I take it there's no way to sensibly migrate flag data from one to the
other?

When a user leaves, it's sometimes useful to hang onto their mailboxes and
share them with another member of staff.  The \Seen flags can be useful in
this instance.  In general we wouldn't set seenflags by default so you end
up wishing to retro-fit it.

> In Cyrus 2.4 (when I finish it!) the sharedseen flags are actually the
> _owner_'s flags.  So if I turned on sharedseen on user.brong.SharedFolder
> then everybody would inherit my \Seen flags.  If I turned it back on again,
> they would each get back their own \Seen flags, and I would keep the shared
> flags.

That sounds like exactly what I want :-)

Thanks for the information,
Gavin