A beginner question about Murder

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 8 17:17:00 EDT 2010

Andrew Morgan wrote:
> In a "traditional" Cyrus Murder (not a "unified" Murder), there are 3
> roles:
>
> 1. backends - these store email
> 2. frontends - these proxy incoming connections to the correct backend
> 3. mupdate master - maintains the list of mailboxes in the Murder
>
> There can only be 1 mupdate master process.  I'm not positive if you can
> run it on a backend or frontend server, or if it must be running on a
> separate server.

In my test setup (internal Wiki document attached licensed CC-BY-SA), which to
date is still a work in progress, it appeared to me;

- In a tradition Murder setup the master update server cannot be combined with
a backend or frontend server.

- For autocreate/autosieve (patches for which Cyrus is not upstream but they
are shipped with Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux packages), the frontend
servers must be disabled for local direct delivery through the lmtp proxy, and
instead relay through the backend server's MTA for autocreate to create the
mailbox on a backend server (and not a frontend server which would then loop
back to itself). The same goes for autocreate on login, which would cause the
frontend to create a mailbox on the local default partition rather then on one
of the backends in the Murder.

I hope you find some of this documentation useful!

PS, if anyone has any more tips, please ;-)

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG