service imap pid nnn in BUSY state: terminated abnormally

Michael D. Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Fri Oct 8 14:40:01 EDT 2010

The story so far:

I have a 2.2.12 aggregate that I am upgrading to 2.3.16.  My previous
problem with saslauthd was fixed by installing cyrus-sasl-plain and
cyrus-sasl-gssapi.   I have moved one of my test accounts from the
2.2.12 back-end server to the 2.3.16 backend server using xfer.

In the process I had neglected to set: hashimapspool: true

No problem, I'll just move the maiboxes back.  This failed with:

   service imap pid nnn in  BUSY state: terminated abnormally

on the 2.3.16 server.  So, I shutdown cyrus, added the hashimapspool
option, moved the mail files and metadata, and started cyrus.   I can
access the mailbox, read it, etc.  No problem.

But, when I try to move it back to the 2.2.12 back-end the same error
message.

Is this a cyrus version incompatibility?  That is, are the moves
one-way, at least when using xfer?

I found some references to a 2.2.14 error:

http://github.com/brong/cyrus-imapd/commit/ec1bfcf6a1db9c86cbf55b9c25d7eb044dbbe51b#diff-0

Is this the same problem, and if so has this been patched in 2.3.16?

Mike
Michael D. Sofka               sofkam at rpi.edu
C&MT Sr. Systems Programmer,   Email, HPC, TeX, Epistemology
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.  http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/