Sync_client fails after upgrade 2.3.16 to 2.4.4

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Mon Nov 29 11:32:01 EST 2010

On 11/29/2010 12:19 PM, Chris Conn wrote:

>> I didn't think that the slave was supposed to be setup to accept
>> incoming mail?
>>

>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.cyrus/33805
>>

> Hello,
>
> Hmm I hadn't read that. I was aware that doing it in a high volume
> scenario was problematic, but was under the impression that an
> occasional delivery here and there was theoretically possible. Its
> pretty amazing since I test it manually and I can send to either one or
> the other and replication happens correctly; however, when the stupid
> logrotate message gets sent on the slave within seconds of a similar
> message being sent on the master, things die.

Must be a timing issue that sync_client can't handle.

> People that use replication as a quasi-hot standby server in the case
> the master goes down/needs maintenance etc, etc, how do you deal with
> locally generated mails that will eventually get delivered to a cyrus
> mailbox on the master to which this is the slave?

On our slave we have an alias in /etc/aliases to send root mail to
another e-mail account on another server. There are no other local
accounts to worry about receiving mail on the slave. However, we use
exim as our main MTA. Right now sendmail is still running on the slave
so any mail that did happen to be delivered locally (such as before we
added the alias) would get delivered to /var/spool/mail/<user> and not
into Cyrus. In the event of a major disaster to the primary we have a
script that will shut down sendmail and start up exim (and take care of
restarting Cyrus in full mail mode).