disable IMAP IDLE

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Nov 23 11:20:40 EST 2010

--On 23 November 2010 10:19:28 -0500 Chris Mattingly <chris at camattin.com>
wrote:

> The RFC for the IDLE says:
>
> This document specifies the syntax of an IDLE command, which will
> allow a client to tell the server that it's ready to accept such
> real-time updates.
>
> This doesn't say anything about keeping connections open, it only talks
> about the near-instant new email notification.

IDLE requires the session to remain open, doesn't it? After all, nothing in
the spec allows the client to say how it can be contacted. The open session
is used for the notification.

In fact, RFC 2177 says this about keeping sessions open:

    "The server MAY consider a client inactive if it has an IDLE command
   running, and if such a server has an inactivity timeout it MAY log
   the client off implicitly at the end of its timeout period.  Because
   of that, clients using IDLE are advised to terminate the IDLE and
   re-issue it at least every 29 minutes to avoid being logged off.
   This still allows a client to receive immediate mailbox updates even
   though it need only "poll" at half hour intervals."