disable IMAP IDLE

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Nov 23 09:44:34 EST 2010

--On 22 November 2010 18:40:37 -0500 Ron Vachiyer <proutfoo at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I thought it was possible in Cyrus to disable the IDLE functionality,
> either with imapidlepoll: 0 in imapd.conf, or by commenting idled in
> cyrus.conf.  However, having both disabled, clients still connect and
> maintain their socket open on tcp 143.   Is it not possible or am I going
> about it wrong?

I thought sessions remained open for efficiency, regardless of IDLE, until
closed by the client or 30 minutes have elapsed.

IDLE just lets the server notify the client if new email arrives, doesn't
it?

Even without IDLE, there are benefits in leaving the session open.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex