Does anyone allow unlimited or extremely large quotas?

Sébastien Michel sebastien.michel at atosorigin.com
Mon Nov 22 05:03:15 EST 2010

> To be honest - it doesn't actually hurt too badly once it's in memory
> > cache.  The cyrus.cache file isn't generally needed to be entirely
> > read, and the secret of mmap is that you only read the bits you need
> > as you need them - it's lazily loaded.
>
> I am fully agree with you. But I don't know what Cyrus really reads on
SELECT to fulfill the mailbox structure.
Since strace doesn't help to see what mmap reads on SELECT, so I made a test
on NFS server.

With a 7MB's mailbox that contains 250 emails. cyrus.index is about 20KB and
cyrus.cache is about 350KB.
- on SELECT, nfsstat shows 15 NFS READ => 480KB on-the-wire NFS READ. It
seems that both cyrus.cache and cyrus.index are read
- on CLOSE, nfsstat shows 19 NFS WRITE and strace shows that both files are
rewritten

With a 6GB's mailbox that contains almost 100.000 emails. cyrus.index is
about 8MB and cyrus.cache is about 120MB
- on SELECT nfsstat shows 300 NFS READ => 9600KB on-the-wire NFS READ. OK it
is less that the size of cyrus.index and cyrus.cache
- on CLOSE nfsstat shows 4105 NFS READ and 4144 NFS WRITE => 2x130MB
on-the-wire NFS.

In such situation mmap doesn't help because everything is read and write. I
hope this behaviour can be optimized.

> > There's no real answer if you're doing a sort on the messages,

Yes I am worried about IMAP SORT and some poors IMAP clients

> > unless you go to multiple indexes (a la database engines).  That's
> > a whole different ballgame - but the the multiplier factor gets
> > higher.  For sane sizes of N (up to 20-30 thousand messages) the
> > O(N) of the way Cyrus does it is cheaper than a more complex
> > database.

I don't think about database but about MapReduce.

Sébastien