Fwd: Re: Does anyone allow unlimited or extremely large quotas?

Simon Fraser srf at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 08:21:08 EST 2010

> I don't actually know what sort of problems I'm referring to, hence the
> question.  The big problem I can imagine would be opendir() and
> readdir() with a huge number of files in a directory, but the cyrus code
> doesn't appear to do that in a lot of places that would matter to a user
> (deleting an entire folder, delete sieve scripts, etc) in the course of
> normal operations.

The number of files in a directory certainly seems to be the performance
factor for us.  We don't enforce quotas, but our largest mailboxes are
only about 15Gb. Deleting large folders (~100000 messages) does take
some time. The only event that has troubled other users of the system
was one user who had added 7.2 million messages to their trash folder,
and then emptied their trash.  It took the better part of a day to
finish, and impacted both read and write performance for other users
(nexsan providing storage over fibre, xfs on top) but the service kept
going.  For what it's worth the Trash folder was only a few Gb.

Simon.