lmtpd: deliver.db checkpointing

David Mayo D.J.Mayo at bath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 15 09:36:35 EST 2010

One day last week I noticed a performance dip on our IMAP server. We
tracked the cause down to periodic "checkpointing" of the deliveries
database by the LMTP daemon on our backend server.

The only real effect on users is that deliveries don't happen for the
duration of the checkpointing cycle, although on this occasion I noticed
the IMAP server was running unusually slow during this period and I also
discovered the MUPDATE server was unavailable shortly afterwards for
creating new mailboxes. This is presumably because the MUPDATE server
was busy in the backed-up delivery process.

Having looked at the source code, we can see that ctl_cyrusdb does not
touch deliver.db and it is not possible to force checkpoints on or off
within lmtpd. Ideally we want to schedule the checkpointing to a "less
sociable" time.

On our setup, the checkpoint runs every couple of days and usually takes
4-6 minutes[1]. We run cyr_expire every night to remove entries older
than 3 days from the duplicate deliveries database but this is the only
maintenance we can schedule on this database.

Do other people suffer from this? Is there a patch that anyone has
written and/or will be submitting upstream any time soon?

We are running Cyrus 2.3.13 across a front end, a back end and a
replication host for around 25,000 users.

Regards,

Dave.

David Mayo
Networks/Systems Administrator
University of Bath Computing Services, UK

[1]
Nov  4 15:32:33 imap.bath.ac.uk lmtp[29595]: [ID 301543 mail.info]
skiplist: checkpointed /opt/etc/imapd/deliver.db (787618 records,
74775536 bytes) in 386 seconds
Nov  9 14:26:06 imap.bath.ac.uk lmtp[1676]: [ID 301543 mail.info]
skiplist: checkpointed /opt/etc/imapd/deliver.db (386167 records,
36638408 bytes) in 232 seconds
Nov 11 12:45:35 imap.bath.ac.uk lmtp[2497]: [ID 301543 mail.info]
skiplist: checkpointed /opt/etc/imapd/deliver.db (657254 records,
62540568 bytes) in 396 seconds