reconstruct caused mailboxes (skiplist) corruption?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Thu Nov 11 20:58:04 EST 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> Since that wasn't the issue - why on earth was it allowed to have fd 2
> in the first place?  Is Cyrus closing fd 2, or is truss closing it??

That is the issue that caused the leaks into protstreams, AFAIK.  It is
always com-err writing to fd 2, and something unexpected being on fd 2.

> open stderr?  The function that's scribbling all over everything is com_err,
> which is supposed to be a BSD error reporting library, it SHOULD know what
> it's doing...

It _will_ write to stderr (aka fd 2).  If we want to be safe, we make sure
fds 0-2 are sane, and we check when we open sockets/files that we did not
get fds below 3...

> Bron ( a while later, fd 2 gets re-used as the mailboxes.db handle, and hence
>        the mess is created )

Indeed.

We *CANNOT* afford to have any files or sockets opened with fd 0, 1 or 2. We
should core-dump immediately if that happens, I think.

  Henrique Holschuh