reconstruct caused mailboxes (skiplist) corruption?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Thu Nov 11 11:24:47 EST 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Paul Dekkers wrote:
> Uhoh! And then I looked at mailboxes.db: It looks like part completely
> rewritten, including the skiplist header, and the first line now said:
> user.bla: System I/O error System I/O error

This is something that has plagued cyrus for a long time.  Can we find a
way to actually keep tabs on our FDs so it cannot ever happen again,
please?  I recall reports of crap showing inside prot streams 10 years
ago... if now it is leaking into even worse places, well...

This probably needs a redesign of master/service fd-passing protocol,
and of prot streams to be fixed for good.   While at it, we should
switch the master/service interaction to a modern design, since the
operating system worth bothering with nowadays deal sanely with the
thundering herd effect, and all of them have proper socket event support
(epoll-like. Would require one of the event abstraction libraries,
though, so as to support linux/bsd/solaris with minimum fuss).

  Henrique Holschuh