cyrus-imapd v2.4.2 on CentOS issue with deleting users

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 4 00:48:24 EDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 09:49:12AM -0400, Robert Spellman wrote:

> On 11/2/10 5:42 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> >
> >Ok - your IMAP client was holding the lock open so the cleanup didn't
> >finish.  Basically 2.4.x delays deletion of a mailbox until all the
> >current users have closed it - which is why the files were still
> >around.  This may be pretty broken with subfolders when deleting an
> >entire user though - I'll have to think about it for a bit...
> This sounds correct.  lsof showed that imapd had files open within
> the folders that I was trying to delete.  As soon as I closed my
> email client, lsof no longer showed imapd with those open files, and
> the files and directories were gone.

Yep.  So we need a "kill all currently open connections" API within Cyrus,
and we need to use it when deleting a folder.  This will probably involve
trolling the proc directory looking for processes.  It's almost certainly
going to be a pain to implement single-threadedly!  I'll have to keep
thinking about it.

Bron.